In 2009, I wrote a post in the series of Benedictine Houses in Gwent and wrote about the later history of St Triac (Brioc's) Clunaic (Strict Benedictine) Priories. More interesting still is the fact that it was a house of the Abbey of Monte Acuta (now 'Montacute House') and appeared in various records. read the old post below.
In 1132 Charter of Robert, Earl of Gloucester, confirming the gift of Malpas Village and church to Montacute Priory. It also refers to Novo Burgo (Newport) (-one of the earliest references to the existence of the town as a "New Borough") See: Robert B. Patterson 'Earldom of Gloucester Charters' 1973. No.156 page 146.
It would seem, therefore that the present priory church, built on the former llan island of St Triac was actually begun after this time to accommodate the monks of Montacute Abbey, It seems the monks of Montacute were to serve the chapel and administer the lands and tithes for the abbey. This may seem grasping by the monks, but in fact,stone buildings such as these are very expensive to maintain and did need a financial input-just as much as today. The congregation therefore supported its church regularly and also supported with oblations or offerings for special prayers. What was there before was probably a small stone church of Saxon or more probably early British mud and wattles, or even wood. The Monks of Montacute were from Cluny, a French house, now demolished. However the same pattern for the abbey used, was that of Worcester Cathedral-also a former Abbey) There is more information on the link above about the later history of the Priory, until it was seized by Henry VIII agents.
In 1239 MALPAS there was an agreement between the abbot and convent of Gloucester and the Prior and convent of Montacute and the Prior of Malpas....the abbbot and convent of St Peter's Gloucester or their assigns, should receive, peacably and fully, all the tithes of Mendelgif and of all things of old belonging to the church of Newport, without hindrance or annoyance.
Translated by James Conway Davies Episcopal Acts Relating to Welsh Dioceses 1066-1272 1948. Vol.II page 715.
Published in Latin by W.H. Hart Historia et Cartilarium Monasterii S. Petri Gloucestriæ 1863. Vol. II. No. DXXVII, pages 62-63.
St Triac was also known as St Brioc or St Briavel (Briomagl) or St Brieux in Brittany. It is a difficulty that there was no standard spelling of British, and Latinisation to Triacus did not help nor a Welsh version (Dyfriac). He was not from Gwent but spent time here.
St Germain Bishop of Auxerre leaves Ireland to establish schools for theIrish missions and is given Triac to train.450AD, so only ten years old.St German also ordained Patrick (aka Succatus) as priest and later consecrated him Bishop of Ireland .St German was hugely important in Gwent and Glamorgan during this early British Cambrian period in preaching against the heretSt Germain was hugely
454AD St German re-founded Caer-wogorn and then departed with his pupils to Paris.
465 AD Returned to Ireland Brioc also received priests apostolic ordination by Bishop Germanus and returns to Wales.
530AD He is recorded to have visited the court of King Childebert and has the grants made by Rhigual confirmed. He returned to Britanny and then died. The Body of St Triac was translated on July 23 1166 in the presence of Henry II of England and William, Bishop of Angers, where it had been taken in the tenth century, on account of the attacks of Vikings in the North of Brittany.
The only other surviving monasteries of St Triac (aka Brioc) are at Llandyfriog in Ceredigion (Rees gives Tyfriog (House of Brioc/Triac) ap Dingad-indicating that St Dingat was the father of Triacus (the Latin form of Brioc)Approximate date of the death of St Illtyd was 537AD.
There is also a Church dedicated to him in Cornwall-St Brioc near Wadebridge (I have posted on this church also)
In iconography, he is see an abbot's robes, sometimes with a wolf at his feet.